Friday, July 29, 2011

A Mother's Love

Today, my friend sent me a link to a wonderful editorial about motherhood. It speaks of the selfless love that is required of a mother and how the world so often directly and indirectly opposes that kind of love. I am by no means a perfectly, selfless mother so the article challenged and encouraged me. I hope you might also read it.


Because we are close to bringing our daughter Melia home, of course my thoughts went to her after reading the article. You see, Melia has some known congenital heart defects. That "known" information can seem overwhelming if I let the world influence my passion and emotions. After all, it might seem to some like a lot to take on. But, it is only because it is what is known. The unknown is in God's hands. Her future, however many days and years she has is in the hands of a faithful Father who says He IS love. He can not operate out of anything but love for my family, my children, because He IS love.


And, the reality is that all my days, all my other childrens' days are unknown to me, but known by this good, loving God that I have come to trust. He says, and I believe Him, that He goes before all things and in Him all things hold together (Col 1:17). He says that He empowers us to labor and struggle with all His energy which powerfully works in us (Col 1:29).


Because of the hope in Him and the love from Him I joyfully labor in the opportunity to pour out myself for one of my callings...motherhood. I rejoice because I have discovered over time that dying to myself, living like Christ, actually brings blessing, joy and peace. So, with a thankful heart for the overflowing love I give thanks for...




966. Jacob's caution 967. Riding a roller coaster with Mr. Adventure, Zac
968. Hallie choosing to be with us over friends
969. Ryan's spontaneity...Adventureland on a Tuesday!
970. Melia's inquistive look in the picture I stare at each morning.

971. That God knows the future and is love

972. A full day of patients at work

973. Talking about gratitude journals with one of my patients

974. A phone call from Hallie, her voice on the phone

975. Listening to my kids endless thanks over lunch.

0 comments: