Monday, March 21, 2011

It really is true...

...giving thanks to God in all things and at all times is where our peace is found. It is what God means when he says that He gives us life to the fullest. We just need eyes, ears and a disposition of thanks to see it is all a gift from Him.


This last Sunday was an all worship service at church, We started off with some great hymns. As I sang these age old verses I was struck by the theme of thankfulness that runs through all these songs. This idea of giving thanks, seeing God in all things is nothing new. I am just beginning to really see Him and the peace from Him and the trust in Him is like nothing I can even begin to describe. It is sooooooooooooooo good!

Remember this hymn...

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest;
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness lost in His love.
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

As I was recently reading Ann Voskamp's book, One thousand Gifts, I was convicted. This life is surely not all roses and perfection and the moment heartache strikes we are compelled to react with anger to God for, "letting this happen" and all the while asking Him for help. Read the words of Caussade:

You would be very ashamed if you knew what the experiences you call setbacks, upheaveals, pointless disturbances and tedious annoyances really are. You would realize that your complaints about them are nothing more nor less than blasphemies-though that never occurs to you. Nothing happens to you except by the will of God, and yet (God's) beloved children curse it because they do not know it for what it is.
Ouch! In the midst of my counting blessings at home, I have been counting complaints in other areas of my life. I tell my kids to, "do everything without complaining or arguing" (Phil 2:14) but they listen to my complaints and learn their habits from me.

Oh, how thankful I am for new mercies every day. I am recommiting myself to give thanks in ALL things and trusting God with the results and expecting the promised peace that comes from giving thanks. He is good all the time!

771. A forgiving Father that never gives up on me
772. My fingers running through my boys' hair that is too long
773. In-laws that I adore talking to
774. Time to read a book
775. Just the right amount of cream in my coffee...that my husband brings to me upstairs while I get ready in the morning
776. My mom and dad listening to me talk and talk and talk.
777. Cousins laughter
778. Homemade donuts
779. A new recipe
780. Swinging on the front porch swing with Hannah on the first day of Spring
781. Privelege to pray for a friend
782. Groceries and a little five year old helper putting them away.
783. Sneaking spinach into Zac's smoothie and the look of surprise when he found out (and still liked it)
784. Adoption stories
785. Hugs from Hallie

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I can't imagine you complaining!! Your lists are always so much fun to read! I am thankful for adoption stories too!!

Jennifer C said...

I love your heart my friend. You are such an inspiration and an example to me. :)