Monday, February 22, 2010

He's in her heart

This weekend I got to see Christ alive in my little girls' heart. That is not to say that I can't see Him when I watch her breathing as she sleeps or in her laughter and love, but I got to see Him working self-control and conviction in her life.

As I stated in an earlier post, the kids and I have decided to give up sweets for Lent. Well, that isn't too hard to do when Mom doesn't offer sweets, but it does become more difficult at a birthday party.

Hallie went to a delightful tea party with her good friend, Meg. As the girls sat down for the tea party Hallie checked out the table of sweet treats that were going to be offered. She came quietly but tearfully to me in the kitchen and said, "Mommy, I don't know what to do. I am embarrassed to sit with them and not eat a dessert. What do I do?"

I told her I couldn't tell her what to do, but asked her what she thought she wanted to do. She told me she would just stay in the kitchen while they had the tea party.

Bless her heart! She never once mentioned the idea of eating a sweet or making an exception because it was a birthday party. She knew the sacrifice was for Jesus and as hard as it was she was going to stick with what she knew was right because she loves Jesus!

I've got to think that obedience to the Holy Spirit's leading at age seven will help her follow him when decisions get harder and harder as she grows up. I praise Jesus that He loves her, leads her and prompts her to obedience. I am certain it will serve her well!

**Fortunately, Meg's mom saw the tears and asked if she could help after Hallie had made the decision to stay in the kitchen. We told her our predicament and she made wonderful peanut butter heart shaped sandwiches to serve at the table so Hallie could sit with the girls and eat. Hallie joined her friends and very politely said, "I'll pass" when offered the sweets.***

1 comments:

Carrie said...

Great story!! Such a sweetie you have!