Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 The Year to SERVE

One of my favorite bloggers has spent the last several years naming her year. The name is a challenge and an invitation to let God work mightily in her life for His glory.

I have decided to name my year THE YEAR TO SERVE. I have spent much of my time memorizing Philippines and will continue this endeavor into 2011. As I read Philippines I am struck by Paul's joyful service to fellow Christians while in prison for Christ. The verses that stick out to me are Philippines 2:5-8,

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. Who, being in very nature God did not consider equality with God something to be grasped but made Himself nothing, TAKING THE VERY NATURE OF A SERVANT, being made in human likeness. And, being found in appearance as a man, humbled himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross."

As I have thought about this year of service, I think that I tend to serve selfishly. But, Jesus made himself nothing. He humbled himself to death. Dying to self and looking for opportunities to serve is my hope for the year. I know that as I die to myself God promises to shield me and carry me on His shoulders (Deuteronomy 33:12).

Lord, I pray for eyes to see those in need in big and small, moment by moment ways. I pray for strength to die to myself and joyfully serve those around me and around the world. I love you and pray that my life would bring you glory and praise. AMEN!

0 comments: