Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jacob's Baptism


Eternally thankful...
661. That Jacob accepted Jesus as his Savior.

My contemplative son has made a choice to follow Jesus! I can not tell you how filled up my heart is today! I am thankful for...

662. Grandparents who encourage my childrens' faith and support us as we teach our children about Jesus.
663. A church that teaches young children about salvation and encourages baptism as a response to salvation.
664. A babysitter that faithfully taught and lived out Jesus for our young children.
665. The promised Holy Spirit to guide, comfort, convict and lead my son through all the days of his life.

Jacob has been talking about baptism for a while. We were hesitant to let him be baptized because we wanted him to remember it and have it mean more than getting a cracker and juice at church. After much discussion Jacob finally wrote us a letter that said very simply and very powerfully, "I want to be baptized because I love Jesus."

How beautiful and pure is that? Scripture instructs us to come to Jesus like a child. We are instructed to repent and be baptized. I think adults, including myself, have a tendency to think too hard about these things and find reasons why baptism should wait. But, baptism is an outward sign of a choice to follow Jesus at the time of conversion. I think God gave us this gift so when faith trials come we have a moment and a memory of when he washed us clean and made us new to cling to. Baptism is a response to faith and exactly what Jacob did today.

I have no doubt that life will bring him struggles and temptations but I know that the Lord is in him, guarding and protecting him and that the Lord will work out Jacob's salvation according to His good purpose and plan. (Phil 2:12-13)

So, we have reason to celebrate today. Praise God for his faithfulness to us and our son, Jacob!

0 comments: