Monday, August 15, 2011

1000 Gifts

There is nothing more powerful than seeing Jesus. You might ask, "Katie, have you really seen him? Seriously?" My answer to you is YES! When we see his bountiful, overflowing, never-ending gifts poured out so freely and lavishly over us every day we encounter him and we get glimpses of him. Counting these blessings has opened my eyes to see Him and his grace and mercy.


Although I may not actually count them past 1,000 I will keep counting them in my heart and mind because this acknowledgment of His gifts is life giving. My life has been changed for good, not because everything always goes my way and not because my eyes don't see the evils and heartache in this world, but because the light of his presence is brighter. When you count the gifts and see him in all things then even hurt and sadness gets consumed with the light of His love.

1 John 4: 12, 18 comes to mind..."No one has seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us...There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."

When I see the love expressed so freely from friends, family, co-workers and even strangers I give thanks. Why? Because I am seeing God and this practice of acknowledging his goodness drives out fears I might have about the future. His love poured out consumes evil and hurt. Praise the Lord!

991. Seeing Jesus in my friend, Rhonda. Her faith is strong as she deals with her son's cancer. I have seen Jesus!
992. My ten running friends gathering together to celebrate Melia and offer generous gifts of love, support and friendship at her baby shower. I have seen Jesus!
993. Ryan's parents sacrificially caring for his 97 year old great aunt as she painfully gets ready to exit this life and enter the presence of Jesus. I have seen Jesus!
994. Watching all three of my boys play catch and Ryan saying yes over and over again to, "Dad do you want to play catch? Are you ready?" I have seen Jesus!
995. My parents offering to give up their dreams and travel plans to go with us to China, or stay at home with Zac while we travel. Whatever we want, they said. I have seen Jesus!
996. My friend calling me today to tell me she needed to repent of the thoughts and words she so honestly shared with me and then tell me the beautiful lesson of love that God revealed to her. I have seen Jesus!
997. Watching our three kids each show their friends such polite hospitality at the movie night we had on the driveway. I have seen Jesus!
998. Listening to the encouraging, authentic, convicting words from our pastor this Sunday that drew my attention to 1 John. I have seen Jesus!
999. Meeting a stranger at the pool and sharing our adoption journeys and God's provision all in 45 minutes. I have seen Jesus!
1000. Feeling the breeze, listening to my kids play with toys in the front yard while swinging on the front porch swing in 75 degree weather and reading my bible. I have seen Jesus!

So, #1000 is not some over the top gift that anyone would even normally pay attention to, but that's the point. It's all grace. It's all a gift. So, I will continue to see Him and know Him in everything, for His glory alone!

1 comments:

Russchelle said...

Katie, I often read your blogs, FB posts and etc. And am proud that Jesus put you in my life many years back and that I am able to read your words of Wisdom, Inspiration, Motivation and more! I have always come from a Christian home and have always had Jesus in my heart but have not been a real Church going person, I don't always know how to talk about him as I am not sure what to tell people, I have made sure my children understand that we always need him in our hearts and I am able to give them basic lessons of what I know. Your words inspire me to get to know him better, Thank You soooooo much!

Love,
Russchelle