Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reading through Colossians

God has brought me to the book of Colossians for scripture memory lately. By focusing on memorizing just one verse every day and repeating all the previous verses each day the Word is coming alive in a whole new way. God's merciful, endless grace poured out and described by Paul in Colossians calls me to thankfulness.


Most recently I have been concentrating on the first part of Chapter 2. Paul is struggling to reach the world with the awesome message of salvation and rejoices in the labor. I am challenged by this devotion to people he knows and even those that have not met him personally. He struggles with the energy of Christ to reach the lost for the glory of God. (1:29-2:2)

Do I rejoice in my light and momentary burdens in suburbia? Do I complain and throw little tantrums when my children test me? Do I elevate stuff over relationships? I wish my answer was no, but far to often I find myself compelled by selfish desire with complaints instead of praise.

But, praise the Lord! Even when my humanity rears it's ugly sin nature, God's grace is poured out into my life. There is conviction from the Holy Spirit that redirects me and illuminates the narrow way. I am so thankful for grace that leads me in everlasting ways instead of down a dead-end, selfish road. Grace gets me back on track.

Paul goes on to write that he delights in how orderly the Christ followers are and how firm their faith is. This reminds me that order and discipline is part of me staying on the right path. (2:5) Order in my daily life helps me so that I will not be deceived and led astray by the world's temptations. So, I am thankful for order in my life and how God works gloriously in the routine of life to show me the way.

Thankful for these routines:

~Waking for an early morning run
~The constancy of meeting these women for running
~The kids doing their morning chores...bed, clothes, teeth
~Unhurried breakfast
~The rhythm of school days
~A kiss from my husband before me leaves for the day
~At least two calls from Ryan every day
~"I love you" before we go to sleep every night
~Church every Sunday
~No TV on Sundays
~Sitting around the table as a family at dinner
~Bedtime story every night with Daddy reading in our big bed
~Scripture memory while I drive



0 comments: