Saturday, November 22, 2008

Endurance

I find myself too often feeling spent at the end of a day.  My nerves are shot from repeating the same things over and over to my children and trying desperately to catch them doing good instead of always finding fault.  Today, was one of those days.  Our sweet little Zac seemed to have spent a large majority of his day whining, grabbing, crying and disobeying.  It is so frustrating to me.  I question whether it is him being three, a boy, adoption issues, sibling rivalry, poor parenting...and then I try to balance doing laundry and cleaning our home with quality play time with all the kids.  It's hard to figure out the balance, give each child the love and care I want to give them and manage a home.  So, what is the solution?  


I am so glad I have a place to write this down.  It is a way for me to be more accountable to myself.  

First...I need to hand over my day to God first thing EVERY day.  I know this, and yet I so often fail to do it.  It's a lot like my children having to hear the same discipline and lessons from me day after day without ever seeming to learn the lesson...hmmm, maybe God is trying to teach me something about myself through my parenting.

Second...I need to pray God's Word over my kids in their presence each day.  I plan on finding some verses to share with all of you in the near future.  

Third...Remember that I am broken and they are the offspring of brokenness.  Letting my heart become more tender and compassionate as I put selfishness aside.

"Praise be to the God and Father of my Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts me in all my troubles, so that I can comfort those (my children) with the comfort I have received from God.  If I am distressed, it is for my children's comfort and salvation; if I am comforted, it is for my children's comfort, which produces in them patient endurance... (personalized for a mother).  2 Corinthians 1:3-6

Days of distress and suffering in parenting are guaranteed, and there is a purpose in every day and every situation. Knowing that suffering produces perseverance and is filled with hope actually fills my heart with a heavenly joy and drives me to endure and enjoy moments of difficulty as opportunity.

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

I think this blog is a great idea and I look forward to growing with you through it. I too find myself lost in the daily routine and discipline. I agree that we must look to the Lord for strength and encouragement. Thanks for starting a blog to share scripture to help all of us mothers deal with the daily challenges of life.

Anonymous said...

I just want to tell you what an incredible mother you are. This last week, I got a TINY little taste of the work involved in taking care of your three amazing little ones (and I feel bad about even saying that because I got to leave at 5:00 every day!) and I am seriously in awe of how you do it! I have always looked up to your mothering "skills" (doesn't seem like the right word, but I can't think of anything else) and hope that when I have kids someday WAY down the road (haha), that I can be a mother like you!

Jennifer C said...

Love your new blog Katie...thanks for sharing your heart. Hope to see you this weekend. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Jenn:)