Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Teaching Forgiveness

Hallie and Jacocb broke our laptop yesterday...Grrrr! They were fighting over whether it should be open or closed and managed to crack the screen. After a good talking to they each handed over their piggy banks, gave hugs, said they were sorry and asked for forgiveness from us and each other. Their consequence was no screen time (tv, movies, leapster, Wii, computer) for one week.

The problem is that I am inclined to keep bringing it up with them and in doing so make them feel guilty over and over again even though I said that I forgave them.

So, the lesson is really mine to learn. If I want my kids to understand what God's forgiveness looks like I need to cast their sin and rebellion as far as the east is from the west. They have to suffer a consequence, which happens to adults as well when we make poor choices, but God's forgiveness through His son Jesus is not about making me feel shamed or guilty. His Word says, "Therefore, now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ."

If I want my kids to fall in love with Jesus and have a greater understanding of how amazingly wonderful His forgiveness is then I need to let them see it in the way I forgive them.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

What a great lesson!! I love that you looked at the situation through those eyes. It opened mine.

Carey and Norman said...

Very good point. I agree that I too often remind our children of their wrongs when really I need to forgive and move forward. Thanks for the lesson and reminder that I too must show God's forgiveness in the way I discipline and teach my children!