Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Psalm 103:2-5

Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things."

In the midst of counting God's blessings and finding cause for thanksgiving in my day to day routine of life I was challenged by this verse. The verse begins with David talking to his soul. I can certainly relate to self-talk. Unfortunately, my self-talk is not always full of truth. In fact, at times self-talk brings me into a pit of despair instead of a place of thanksgiving.

It's easy to give thanks when the sun is shining, the laundry is put away, dinner is made, children are behaving and I am really energetic, right? I am quick to remember all his benefits when things are "going my way." What about sad days? What about mad days? What about sick days?

This verse is not about good days. It's about praising God and remembering Him on bad days. So, here I go...

I was terribly sick two days ago. Ryan was at church and I was at home with all the kids. I was throwing up with a terrible tummy ache. I know many of you have been there. Let me tell you how good God was to me!

#46 My kids made themselves dinner. In the midst of moaning and groaning I was rejoicing to watch them get out all the supplies they needed to make their very own PB&J's. They worked as a team and even put things away after they made the sandwiches.

#47 All three kids showed great compassion with tender back rubs, getting a bowl for me to throw up in, getting me pillows and asking, "Is there anything else I can do for you, mommy?"

#48 Ryan came home after church and kindly sent me to bed. He took care of the kids by bathing them, reading bedtime stories and running to get me medicine. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful man to help me when I am sick.

#49 Before the tummy flu set in God had guided and directed my day, so that much of the housework was already done.

#50 When I woke in the morning I was healed. My sickness was completely gone and I had energy for parenting the next day.

I am so satisfied in the love and provision of my Savior!

0 comments: