Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lessons learned from my daughter

Our basement has been transformed back into a playroom in the last week. Over the last five months it has been off limits for much play because we have been loaning it out to various family members and friends.

As we were cleaning things up and getting the basement ready for kids to ride scooters and play with Hot Wheels Hallie came up to me with a "great idea."

She told me all about how we should find another family to move into our basement, maybe a family that is struggling and needs a place to stay while the dad gets a job. She thought we could give them one of our cars so he could look for a job. She also thought that if we got a bigger kitchen table then we could all eat together. Right now we just have a queen size bed in the basement but she thought we could get several bunk beds to house more people and then put a jar downstairs with some money in it so they could buy a few things. She went on to say that we need to get the word out now, so maybe we should make a poster and put it up somewhere so people would know that we have a place for them.

I'm sure you are laughing thinking how ridiculous it would be to make such an announcement, right? Well, my daughter's heart of compassion really hit me. Why am I so grateful for my kids to have a second playroom (like they NEED it) when their are people that need a bed and a warm (Hannah I know you might disagree about warm) house to sleep in? I don't plan on announcing that anyone can come live with us (I am aware that I need to be safe about this) but God has challenged me, through Hallie, to keep my eyes open to the needs of others and be willing to go above and beyond to care for the hurting and those experiencing hardship.

Isn't God doing something wonderful in her heart?!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet Hallie...I love her heart. And although it was a little cold, I was so, so grateful for a warm bed...and Snuggies. I miss you all!!!!!!!