Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hallie's Heart


In the last two weeks I have been blessed to see into my daughter's heart, and discover her growing love and trust in Jesus Christ. As a Christian mother, my greatest hope is that my children would know Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, and that they would enjoy the freedom and abundant joy of a daily walk with Him.

1. We were having some mommy/Hallie moments on the front porch swing and I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up. She was unsure and so I suggested a few careers. She seemed not to care too much one way or the other. Then I asked if she thought she would be a mom. Hallie's reply was, "Yeah, if God wants me to be a mom."

Lesson learned...Don't try to predict and plan every little bit of my future and don't instill that kind of selfish planning into my kids. There is a difference between setting goals, refining and developing God-given talents and planning exactly what the future will be. Only God gets to know the future.

Jeremiah 29:11...For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future when you call to me with all your heart."


2. Hallie was feeling sick two days ago and was moaning as her stomach cramped up on her. I suggested she go rest in her bed and try to sleep. She agreed and I laid her down in bed. As I walked out of the room I watched as she folded her hands and prayed to God for His healing touch on her body. Only the Lord knows what her words were, but I got to watch as she confidently gave her concerns and physical pain over to Jesus, knowing that He was the One that could help her.

Lesson learned...trust Him at all times and have the faith of a child, believing He can do all things and will help me and my children in any and every circumstance.

Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight."

3. Hallie, Ryan and I have certainly talked about what it means to believe in and follow Jesus. We have talked about how Jesus died for our sins and what sin is. Hallie has told us that she loves Jesus and believes in Him as her Savior. Recently, the topic of baptism came up and she asked Ryan a lot of insightful questions. We talked to her about how baptism is not for salvation, but an act of obedience and a way of experiencing salvation. Although she has not yet said she is ready to be baptized it is a blessing to see her begin to wonder and ask questions about her faith. I just love watching her young faith blossom.

Lesson learned...Always be ready to discuss faith questions with my kids. I never know when and what topic will come up.

1 Peter 3:15 "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Wow, Hallie is so grown up for her age. I love that she prayed for healing when sick. What a wonderful example you have shown to your children to see them blossom at such an early age! I always love suggestions and activities you do with your children to help strengthen their faith. We haven't started the bible verse at the table, but we talked about starting it just this week!

Jennifer C said...

That's awesome Katie...what a precious young lady whose heart is already so sensitive to the Lord.