Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Patience

Well, you know that if this week is about patience for me then some "opportunities" to show patience are coming! You know, I am actually starting to look forward to the "opportunities." Why? Because I'm finding that even though the fruit of the Spirit is all about how we react to others and demonstrate God's love to others, God mercifully and lovingly blesses my heart when I act according to His design.

I can think back over this last week and regret for moments of impatience starts to hurt my heart. Fortunately, God forgives me as well as those I have lost patience with so I can move past those mistakes and ask the Spirit to pour out patience today and tomorrow and the next day until it becomes more and more natural for me.

I thought I would list some verses to meditate on and think about this week that will hopefully guide me in having an abundance of patience. They center around being easily angered and hot-tempered because that would seem to me to be the opposite of patience.

James 1:19-20 19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

Proverbs 29:11 11 A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Proverbs 19:11 11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

Proverbs 15:18 18 A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel.

Ecclesiastes 7:8-9 The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. 9 Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.

Colossians 3:12 12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Verses copied from www.biblegateway.com

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Ah, patience. Always the area I need work. It is always when you are in a rush or had a bad day that your patience is tested too. Thanks for posting the verses too. I need to print them and keep them with me at all times!

MamaSten said...

Katie,
THANKS for the great post - these were just what I needed to read.
Darla
(I linked to your blog through Carey's blog. I adopted three boys from the same Children's Home as Carey did.)