Sunday, February 22, 2009

Peace...

...doesn't the word just calm your heart and mind. Peace is so desirable and yet to often I am a part of creating an unpeaceful atmosphere. The verse that most readily comes to mind when I think about bringing peace into who I am and how I act is,

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18

I love this verse because it reminds me that my attitude, the fruit of the Spirit in me, is not dependent on others. The blessing of peace is a issue between me and God and not dependent on whether or not someone else offers that same peace to me. Too often, if another person is nasty to me in tone, with words or actions my immediate response is to be defensive and give a little of that ugliness back. Praise God, He gives me a Spirit that will (if I let Him) shut my mouth, turn off my negative body language and seek peace instead of pride. (Psalm 34:14) God masterfully works through someone who pursues peace to calm down a situation and sometimes relationships can then grow and Christ is glorified.

This week my goal is to seek peace and pursue it, to God's glory!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The verse that the Lord always leads me to when He's dealing with me about peace is Colossians 3:15, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."

We have been called to peace! This is a lifestyle choice - it's not something that comes and goes in our lives. It's a choice. And as the Lord just downloaded revelation to me about what I choose controlling my heart and mind, I have an even deeper understanding of this verse!

We can choose peace when everything around us tries to distract us. I love that...

Thank you for writing this - it opened up more of what the Lord just told me!