Monday, March 2, 2009

Joy in Pain

This week my focus is on the Fruit of the Spirit, Joy. I was ready to right a joyful, happy post but found out today that Ryan's dear aunt has suffered from a severe stroke at the age of 52. She is right now fighting for her life as her brain begins to swell. Would you please stop and pray for her complete healing and for her three children?


So, I am at a loss. Or at least I was. I didn't know where to begin. Is joy, as a fruit of the Spirit, meant to be present every day in our lives? Even in the midst of suffering? So I just spent some time reviewing some old notes from a Bible Study by Beth Moore on the Fruit of the Spirit.

After reading and praying I believe that Joy is designed to be a part of this life, every day of this life. Moments of happiness may pass by me for which I am grateful, but true joy, from the soul only comes from abiding with Christ. Scripture tells us that we know Christ more fully when we learn to fellowship with Him in His sufferings. Certainly He knew suffering and yet He was so fixed on the joy set before Him that He endured the cross. His joy was in knowing what was to come. I have confidence and hope in the joy of heaven. The salvation that I have in Christ Jesus is reason for joy. "You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." Psalm 16:11

Even in painful situations the psalmist says, "Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again...My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you." Psalm 71:20,23

So, even though today is filled with uncertainty and tears an inner joy, manifested in peace and eternal hope is alive in me.

I trust you, Lord.

1 comments:

Sher said...

How is Ryan's aunt today??