Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Recent Bible Study Thoughts

Ryan and I have started going through the book of Nehemiah together. Why Nehemiah you ask? Basically, we wanted to study an Old Testament book and this study caught my eye when I was at Parables looking through studies.

Nehemiah is not a long book so after I read through it on my own I just kept reading into Esther. Both of these individuals lives got me thinking about the significance of living submissively for the Lord, in the world, so that relationships are rightly prepared when God calls us into action. It also made me think of other men and women of faith that seem to me, to demonstrate this as well. People like Joseph and Mary.

Let me explain what I mean...

Nehemiah was a cupbearer to a pagan king, Artaxerxes. He faithfully brought and tested wine for the King for many years. When he was called to go back to Jerusalem to rebuild the walls he showed amazing bravery to approach the king and ask to go and rebuild a city wall that, in doing so, could pose a threat to King Artaxerxes. God's favor was on Nehemiah and the king said it was ok for him to go. Why was he so willing to let this man return to Jerusalem? I wonder if it was his faithful service for so many years. I wonder if his life was so visably honorable that the king had no reason to question his motives and considered him, on some level, a friend.

Esther has a similar story. She was an orphaned child brought up by her cousin Mordecai. She was chosen (taken from her adopted family out of obligation to the pagan king Xerxes' orders) to join the king's harem. The king was, "attracted to Esther more than any of the other women," and she became queen. It would seem a desirable position, but her main role and job was to fulfill the king's desires when he so wished and keep quiet about any of her personal thoughts or ideas. Anyway, she was queen for four years before she was called to approach the king in an effort to save her people from mass destruction. I wonder if her submissiveness, inward beauty and faithfulness impacted the king so greatly that he allowed her to live and save her people.

These people and so many others lived honorable lives, serving their God IN the world and in doing so were prepared as it says in Esther, "for such a time as this."

It makes me want to live above reproach and honorably at work and home and in all my relationships so that when God calls me to action the groundwork of authentic and trusted relationships can pave a way for Him to work powerfully through me and in the lives of others. Their example reminds me to hold my tongue when I'm tempted to tell others off and always show kindness and gentleness. They remind me to consider others better than myself because in doing so trust is established.

1 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Very powerful post. Esther and Ruth have always been two of my favorite. Love that you take time to study with your husband as Norman and I need to find more time to study together!