Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Love

Well, I've made it to the last (or first) of the Fruits of the Spirit. This week the focus is on love. Love can get pretty confusing according to the world's standard and definition, but the picture of love in the Bible is so beautiful. All of the Fruits of the Spirit deal with how I behave and interact with others as a Spirit-filled believer. So, love in my life needs to be present despite the circumstance or the person.

In our family everything has a song so here is the lyrics to the song the kids and I concocted about love...

We've got to share God's love,
We've got to give God's love,
We've got to show God's love to the world.
Share it with our neighbors with our friends and family
Even sharin' with our enemies (Repeat first three lines).

So, I teach my kids these songs and they are all cutsy and fun, but living that kind of love out is hard! Even our enemies, seriously! Yes, seriously.

The Lord often reminds me of 1 Cor 13 when I start stewing over someone or something or some situation. Have you ever had an entire conversation with someone in your head and at the end been filled with bitterness for that person. Unfortunately, that happens far to often with me! That's when God reminds me that love, "keeps no record of wrongs" and that "love is patient (more than one hour or one day) and kind"

So, this week is about practicing that kind of love because I know that in giving Christ's love out others will see Him in me and I will be blessed too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for practicing love today over tea. I was so encouraged after I left your house.

Thank you so much.

Carey and Norman said...

Great post....it is always hardest to love those who do not love us back. I always think of how God loved Saul before he became Paul. He loves us even when we are not lovable. If he can love us, we must love others in the same manner...so much easier said than done!