Friday, December 12, 2008

Adopted and Changed

Yesterday, our Nanny decided to call Zachary, Pasha. We do that sometimes as well because it is such a cute name and for so long he called himself Pasha (his Russian name). When she did this Zac's response was, "No, I not Pasha. I turned into Zac!"

I found this so fascinating. At three, he did not forget that he used to be Pasha, but he knows without a doubt that he is now Zac. I am so thankful that he proudly and joyfully calls himself Zac, the name his parents gave to him. We always loved the name Zac and when we found out it means, Remembered By God, it was the perfect name for our son.

I am always delighted when my kids teach me and remind me about God's truths. When I heard this story I was reminded about my joy in being called by God as one of His daughters. We are adopted into his family and as a believer we are a new creation. I haven't forgotten my old life of sin, but rejoice because I have a new identity in Christ.

"For God chose us to be adopted as his sons and daughters through Jesus Christ." Eph 1:5
"If anyone is in Christ he is a new creation, the old is gone and the new has come." 2 cor 5:17

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

We didn't use our daughter's Russian name for a few months. When I mentioned it one day, she shrugged her shoulders and acted like she didn't remember it. I was sad as this was her name for almost 4 years and she forgot it so quickly. Glad Zac still remembers his Russian name even if he prefers his English one.

Nate and Becca said...

Katie,
That is awesome that you are able to identify God speaking to you through your kids!! Isn't it comforting knowing we are his adopted children and the love he has for us is more than we can imagine!! Looking forward to our coffee date sometime in the future. Until then have a blessed Christmas and joyous celebration of the birth of Christ! Love, Becca