Monday, December 1, 2008

Scripture Memory

I have to thank my friend, Mindy for challenging me last year to teach my kids scripture. I initially thought that 3 and 4 years old was too young to memorize scripture. Mindy was telling me how she decided that if her kids could memorize music and so many other things that starting to memorize scripture made sense. Well, it made sense to me too! Putting the truth into their heads and praying for it to sink into their hearts at a young age is so important.

In the last year our kids have memorized about 15 verses and each has it's own song or action to go along with it. We usually make it fun by passing around a candle at dinner time and the person holding the candle gets to say or sing the verse and then blow the candle out to finish it off. Then he or she picks the next person to sing the verse. I know this is a huge fire hazard, but in one year we have not had an injury!

Anyway, the verse for this month is Genesis 1:31..."God saw all that he had made and it was very good." (set to the tune Yankee Doodle). We are so proud of Zac for starting to pick up this verse memorization too. Below is a video of Zac singing the verse. It wasn't his best effort, but when the camera is on you never know what you are going to get!

1 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

What a great idea. We may have to steal this from you. I have noticed that our son takes to verses where he learns the sign language to go along with it (from Mother's Day Out). Our daughter has more trouble with retaining what is learned. I like the dinner bible verse idea and making it fun with blowing out the candle as ours love to blow out birthday candles. Thanks for sharing!!