Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A New Year

Do you ever feel like somthing's coming? Do you ever wonder what God has planned? As I think about 2009 and what it holds for me and my family I feel a sense of excitement, like something's coming....I have no idea what that something is. I so desperately want to be in God's will and make decisions that honor Him. I want His plan. But, I wonder how I can be sure it is His plan and I am walking out His plan.

Well, today I listened to the perfect sermon while I was running on the treadmill. It is from North Point Ministries out of Springfield, Minnesota. It was exactly what I needed to hear and goes right along with my previous post about abiding with Christ.

The pastor mentioned things I had heard before. He talked about knowing God's will by being in His word daily, seeking wise counsel and circumstances directing us. The revelation came when he talked about God's Fatherly advice. As a Father, God will walk us through our spiritual infancy, but as we mature and our desires match His, God will let us make some decisions on our own. He did not tell his disciples, "Travel 25 miles and preach to the people in Asia for 21 days, then travel by boat to....etc...". Instead Jesus said, "Go and make disciples." It was their job to pray and use every opportunity the crossed their path to tell others about salvation. He gave each of them talents and said you go figure out how to make much of what has been given to you.

God works all things together for the good of those that love Him. So, when we love Him where we are, when we abide with him and consider others better than ourselves we can be assured that we are in His will. Maybe this is in part, what Paul was talking about when he wrote Hebrews 5:11-13. We need to move beyond asking God to make every decision for us and use the knowledge and abilities He has given us to make some wise decisions that line up with our heart's desires, which should line us up with His plan and His desires (Psalm 40:8)

All of this to say, that my desire for 2009 is to make the most of every situation, to do my best with what has been entrusted to me (husband, kids, neighbors, job as a PA) and make some mature decisions after I have spent time abiding with Him and meditating on His Word.

I will end with some pictures of our first Christmas as a family of five in no particular order. Happy 2009!



Christmas Eve church service in Lincoln

The Baeder cousins

Hallie's new doll, Addy

Zac's new leapster

Jacob's Nintendo 64

Katie's side of the family!

Jacob sledding

Building snowmen with Poppie

Christmas in Kearney

Poppie's idea to make the snow slide extra fun!

My boys sledding

Kenagy Christmas picture

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

I love all the new pictures. The kids matching in Red are precious. Hallie's dress is exceptionally beautiful.

Thanks for sharing this post. So many times as I seek God's direction, I feel like I'm waiting without an answer. I agree that we ought to trust our hearts and decisions to move forward. God will continue to open and close doors. We must have faith to take the first step!!

Happy New Year.

Jennifer C said...

Katie, you have no idea how much I needed to hear that. Any chance you could send me the link to that sermon? Love the pics of your beautiful family. Miss you friend! Happy New Year.:)

Linds said...

Love the Pictures.... I forgot you had your own website , thanks for the post... I can gleam so much from friends like you. Sorry we did not get to see you over Christmas. thanks for the call. Hope we can get together soon! Happy New year.