Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Creator

I just finished a book club with a group of wonderful, diverse women. We got together to discuss the book, The Shack. We had differing ideas and thoughts but we all enjoyed the discussion and time of fellowship.

I am thankful to God for blessing me with opportunities for "girl time" and deep discussion about Him. One of the themes in the book was the idea that He is the Creator and I am the created. Even though I sturggle with that role at times, when I contemplate that the satisfaction and joy I get out of reading, learning, "girl time" and simple things like book clubs is because He created me that way I am so thankful to Him for being my Creator.

It's only in this last year that I have discovered a love for books and reading. It's so fun to think that God, as my loving Creator, will continue to bless me with surprise interests and friends as the story of my life unfolds.

So, I am off to bed to start next month's book, The Glass Castle. God, my Creator, knows what I will learn and discover and enjoy and I picture him delighting in me just as I love watching my kids learn and delight in discovery.

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

I read The Shack after it was recommended on the Kouri's blog. I too loved it and enjoyed the unique way it portrayed God. It really helped answer (or give me peace) about some underlying questions I have concerning why God allows certain things to happen. I'll have to check out your next book choice.

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I have to say that that is my LEAST favorite book ever. I began reading it during a weekend while we were staying in a remote cabin without a locking door and I about threw my back out pulling a futon bed in front of the door and sleeping on it because I was so freaked out by the scenario presented in the book. I guess the thing that bugs me the most about it is that it is fiction. I mean if someone really expereinced that and then shared it that would be one thing but to make up such an evil and dark scenario just for discussion sake definitely seemed anti christian to me. Afterall we are called to think of whatsoever things are pure and holy and of a good report. Also scripture admonishes us to not even speak of the things that lawless men do in private. It just seemed like a poor use of creative talent. Also, God being portrayed as a woman was way too much for me. I'm glad that you were able to come away with a positive insight though. I would just not feel comfortable reccomending that book to anyone!