Monday, December 15, 2008

My little helper

Tonight, Ryan had a late appointment so my sweet Hallie helped me with the bedtime routine. After reading Zac a bedtime story he cried for endless hugs while I was trying to read Jacob his bedtime story. Believe me, he got plenty of hugs and he really wasn't in need of genuine affection be was simply trying for "manipulation hugs" as we call them around here. So, I told him he would have to go to bed and wait until I was done with Jacob. Hallie heard him wailing and politely asks, "Mom, can I go try and make him feel better?" I say sure and she goes in with the sweetest mommy voice and says, "hey sweetheart, can I give you a snuggle?" She then proceeds to calm him down and "read" him a book. By the time I was done with Jacob he was asking for special Hallie time too! So, she obliges and then turns their light off, says, "sleep tight, boys" and closes the door. They didn't even try to come out after that!

She looks at me and says, "Wooo, that was hard work getting those boys to bed!"

Hallie is such a delightful, loving girl full of sensitivity towards others and compassion. It is a joy to see God at work in her heart!

3 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

How sweet. Girls are so loving and kind, aren't they? I think it is sweet how she cared for Zac and took on the mothering role. Love it.

Sher said...

They grow up so fast.

On another note sometime we'll have to discuss The Shack. I just finished it recently and was wishing I was in a book club or something where I could discuss it with others.

Jennifer C said...

What a sweet girl!:)