Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Change of Heart

Last weekend Ryan was introduced to a sweet little daschund dog at our neighbor's house. He tried to convince me how wonderful this little dog would be as an addition to our family. My quick answer was, "No!" In fact, the night before I was telling my in-laws about how, "we just are not pet people."

So, without discussing the matter, Ryan went to our neighbor's house and brought the dog home just to "try out" for the afternoon! Well, introducing a sweet dog that is potty-trained, rarely barks and will even play catch to our children meant that there was no turning back. I was at first perturbed and going on and on about how this dog is not just MY dog and how the kids had to be responsible in feeding, CLEANING UP POOP, and walking our new dog. After a few hours of being stubborn Ryan said, "Katie, if you are going to act like this then we need to take the dog back."

That's when I realized my heart and mind had quickly changed. I didn't want to give up our little dog! So, I chose to embrace our new family member and the responsibilities and fun that go along with this change.

Life Lessons...

1. God can change my heart and mind!
2. When I say NEVER God finds a way. Never say never!
3. God will take us unexpected places and it is our choice whether or not we embrace change and make the best of it or drag our feet and fight it the whole way.

Yes, I have cleaned up poop but I also love, love, love our sweet dog and I love, love, love watching Hallie take on a new responsibility. (She is feeding the dog, cleaning up poop, walking her and sleeping with her each day!)

Introducing...Jewels! Named by Hallie for her one blue eye that looks like a jewel!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

does this mean that warren is gone?!?!?!?!!??!!??!

haha...oh, warren. you know there's a special place for him somewhere in my heart. it's a very small place and i don't know exactly where it is, but it's there...

haha