Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Unpredictable

Have you heard the song, Unpredictable, by F. Batistelli? Great song. Great lyrics. Lately, I have been pondering how unpredictable God is.

About a year ago I was filled with anticipation. I felt like God was about to do something. The Spirit in me was excited about something that was coming. Well, in my humanness I tried my best to figure out what that could be. At first I thought it meant a radical job change for Ryan. I was figuring it all out and when I felt unsettled about any kind of job change I was disappointed. My prayers sounded something like this, "But, God. You told me something big was going to happen and now everything is just the way it's always been. What are you doing? Maybe that anticipation and excitement was something that my mind manufactured. Does your Spirit really speak to me? Maybe I'm just making this stuff up. Life is still the same...that's not exciting. I don't know what to think..."

That's when the unpredictable, better plan happens! God has brought my brother back to NE and we are so blessed to have him living with us until he finds a place of his own. Our relationship is growing, Ryan and he are becoming better friends, he is attending church with us each week. I didn't see that one coming and it is so much better than I dreamed. Staying put and keeping things the same has provided a way for my brother to join the fabric of our family for awhile.

So here is my point. I need to quit trying to figure it all out. Certainly, I want to move when the Spirit leads, but I don't need to jump the gun and run ahead of God's plan. I would compare it to my three year old and six year old's attitudes about car rides. Zac will jump in the car because I tell him to and not ask a question about where we are going. He trusts me and knows that a ride in the car usually leads to something good and/or necessary. Hallie, on the other hand, is getting older and has more of an opinion about where and when she wants to go somewhere. She wants to know details like; where we are going, when will we be there, how long will we be there, will she get anything she wants...

As a parent it gets frustrating trying to get her to move. Where is the trust? Does God think the same about me?

I imagine God saying...Katie, I have asked you to trust me and take my lead. I have not asked you to lead me or figure it all out before it happens. I created you and I have your best in mind. Isn't that enough? If you trust in my love, you will trust that my ways are not yours...they are better!

"I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11

I guess the search needs to be to daily seek out the heart of God, not the plan. He is unpredictable and wonderful!

1 comments:

Carrie said...

This is how I felt about adoption and my desire to become a mother. It took my a while before I realized God was leading me to Sophie and Sam.