Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Forgiveness

So, Zac and I got into it last night. That wonderful child has a way of getting to me. When his emotions are out of control, mine too often mimic his. In my anger I sent him to his room so that I could have a time out. As I sat in the "prayer chair" my heart was quickly humbled as I received forgiveness from Jesus. I also asked for some wisdom and the Spirit brought to mind another mother's brillant idea.

I went back into Zac's room and instead of demanding he get some self-control I invited him to go sit in the prayer chair and let Jesus bring him some peace and help him to have self-control. He willingly went to the rocking chair, picked up a Bible and starting flipping through the pages. I went around the corner so he could have some space and quiet time.

That's when I heard these precious words come out of his mouth, "Will you forgive me? I'm sorry." He wasn't saying it to me. He was asking Jesus to forgive him. When I went back and reconciled things between us I asked him if he was asking Jesus to forgive him and he said, "yes." Then I asked him if Jesus did forgive him and he very matter of factly said, "yes."

Lord, thank you for teaching me and my kids to come to You for forgiveness and peace. Thank you that the burden of sin in not ours to bear. Thank you that my three year old is learning this life-saving lesson now!

2 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Isn't it amazing how the Lord uses these moments to teach us about forgiveness. Children definitely show our weaknesses.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I just set up a prayer chair today....love this...blessings, Katie...